When People Go Missing in Australia

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

When People Go Missing in Australia

Postby nath4n77 » Thu 20 Jul, 2017 7:47 pm

Just curious if we have some police, retired or not, search and rescue guys out there, when people go missing, are they always reported in the news? Is there cases where, anyone aware of, that are not reported to Media, local or Nation wide?
What is your opinion? What do you know? 8)

and if they are not, what would be the reason?
nath4n77
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: When People Go Missing in Australia

Postby Mark F » Thu 20 Jul, 2017 8:28 pm

People go missing for many reasons, often with the intention to disappear so they cannot be found by abusive partners, debt collectors both legal and illegal etc. These certainly don't want publicity. For other cases a person acquainted with the disappeared needs to file a missing persons report with the police. Many resurface in a few days/weeks. There is no reporting to the media of any of these cases unless the police or others believe useful information may be collected or it is believed the person may be in danger or distress. If you look around many public buildings - libraries, courts etc you will occasionally see a poster with approximately 12 long term missing detailed (name, date, photo).
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby nath4n77 » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 2:33 pm

Mark F wrote:People go missing for many reasons, often with the intention to disappear so they cannot be found by abusive partners, debt collectors both legal and illegal etc. These certainly don't want publicity. For other cases a person acquainted with the disappeared needs to file a missing persons report with the police. Many resurface in a few days/weeks. There is no reporting to the media of any of these cases unless the police or others believe useful information may be collected or it is believed the person may be in danger or distress. If you look around many public buildings - libraries, courts etc you will occasionally see a poster with approximately 12 long term missing detailed (name, date, photo).
thanks Mark, yes, totally agree, many dont want to be found. But I should have clarified, what I mean is that when those missing that have been reported to authorities. Do they sometimes not report them to media? If someone advises police they dont want media atttention, I suppose, but dont imagine that would be the case if they want all help to locate the missing person.

I came across this one

https://youtu.be/Z0G9ogPmi-Y

no news, no news article, nothing.

You hear of other stories, but no news information on it. Just wondering if those stories are just stories.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
nath4n77
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tastrax » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 3:38 pm

I reckon that whole video is a hoax and I certainly cant believe that 3 kids on a school excursion going missing was never reported.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby nath4n77 » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 3:51 pm

tastrax wrote:I reckon that whole video is a hoax and I certainly cant believe that 3 kids on a school excursion going missing was never reported.
yes thats what I think.

nath4n77
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 4:48 pm

National missing person centre, a commonwealth govt service.

https://www.missingpersons.gov.au/who-missing/nsw
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rurik » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 4:51 pm

Looks more like someone's school multimedia project inspired by the Blair Witch Project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby michael_p » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 5:22 pm

nath4n77 wrote:I came across this one

Worst Blair Witch rip-off ever. :lol:
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby taipan821 » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 7:11 pm

nath4n77 wrote:Just curious if we have some police, retired or not, search and rescue guys out there, when people go missing, are they always reported in the news? Is there cases where, anyone aware of, that are not reported to Media, local or Nation wide?

As a search volunteer, if a person is declared missing (family or friends have reported them as missing) police will initiate a search and an alert goes out to local media, if a child is the missing person QPS sends out an Amber alert on all media (radio, tv, social media). Police and (in this area) SES will begin to search an area looking for the person. the search continues until the person is found or police have called off the search. If the person went missing at sea the state police can hand jurisdiction over to AMSA (Australian maritime search authority) and then AMSo will run (and pay for) the search efforts.

From personal experience, as the likelihood of the person being found alive reduces, the search winds down. initially all resources will be thrown in (Police, SES, rescue helicopter, even rural fire in some cases) but as the search drags on fewer and fewer resources will continue to be committed. It all boils down to cost
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby nath4n77 » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 8:25 pm

taipan821 wrote:
nath4n77 wrote:Just curious if we have some police, retired or not, search and rescue guys out there, when people go missing, are they always reported in the news? Is there cases where, anyone aware of, that are not reported to Media, local or Nation wide?

As a search volunteer, if a person is declared missing (family or friends have reported them as missing) police will initiate a search and an alert goes out to local media, if a child is the missing person QPS sends out an Amber alert on all media (radio, tv, social media). Police and (in this area) SES will begin to search an area looking for the person. the search continues until the person is found or police have called off the search. If the person went missing at sea the state police can hand jurisdiction over to AMSA (Australian maritime search authority) and then AMSo will run (and pay for) the search efforts.

From personal experience, as the likelihood of the person being found alive reduces, the search winds down. initially all resources will be thrown in (Police, SES, rescue helicopter, even rural fire in some cases) but as the search drags on fewer and fewer resources will continue to be committed. It all boils down to cost

Thanks taipan appreciate the info. Thought it would be strange if they the authorities did not put it out there. :)

nath4n77
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby nath4n77 » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 8:27 pm

GPSGuided wrote:National missing person centre, a commonwealth govt service.

https://www.missingpersons.gov.au/who-missing/nsw
Yes i check this out time to time thanks gps [THUMBS UP SIGN]

nath4n77
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby nath4n77 » Fri 21 Jul, 2017 8:32 pm

michael_p wrote:
nath4n77 wrote:I came across this one

Worst Blair Witch rip-off ever. :lol:
Yes it does. It looks like it was filmed probably near dunns swamp rylestone with tayans peak in the background.

nath4n77
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Between Bushwalks